So, in my wonderful, summer off-time of no school and no work, I’ve decided to actually try some of the projects I’ve been drooling over on Pinterest. I started an account on Pinterest for a Digital Culture class (best homework ever!), and I’ve become slightly addicted. I thought about starting one of those “365 Days of Pinterest!” blogs to make myself do something productive, but this project has made it very clear that forcing myself to be super crafty every day would make me crazy in a week and might end with the whole of southern Utah drowning in mod-podge. So this “crafty” thing will become a third-tier hobby once school starts again. It will stay second tier right now due largely to boredom (but still behind things like reading awesome books, cleaning, writing my book/essays, and wasting hours on the internet).
But here’s my first, successful Pinterest mod-podge project. This is the shoebox that my new tennis shoes from this post came in.
I’ve been using it to store the random assortment of cords and headphones and memory cards and electronics I find around the house. (You know, maybe I should make photography a second-tier hobby as well; these pictures could use some help.) I wanted to decorate it so it didn’t look so…shoe-boxy. And lime green. So I bought a dictionary at DI and ripped it up and did this:
Now it looks all vintagy and stuff! It took waaaay longer than I thought it would (almost 2 hours to do the whole thing), but I had nothing else scheduled, so I guess it wasn’t a big deal. It’s a little more wrinkly than I wanted it, but I like how it turned out.
As you can see below, there is a beaver on it! And a bagpiper. And a bassoonist on the side. And a suit of mail and an intestine that I accidentally ripped in two but pasted both pieces on.
I rather like how it turned out.
I plan to do the same sort of thing to the top of my really old looking dresser I got on Craigslist. I’m going to use the copy of Lord of the Rings that James got me for our first Christmas together; it’s falling apart anyway. And now that I’ve practiced on this, the technique will hopefully turn out better on the important project: the one dresser to rule them all…DUH DUH DUH!! Coming soon…(relatively…)